Sunday, March 20, 2005

Maybe we can be friends.

Catholics marry Jews. Asians marry Hispanics. Hell, brothers marry sisters. So why is it I can never be with a girl with bad musical taste?
I’d like to think bad taste is a trivial personality trait, sort of like being a smoker or thinking leather boots are cool. However, on closer examination, music makes up an immeasurable part of my existence, and no Weezer fan, no matter how cute, is welcome.
For instance, one of my favorite activities is record shopping (oh, like you’re so cool). As any music nerd can attest, when shopping alongside a person of interest, one of the surest signs of a connection is that sacred moment wherein both shoppers reach for the same artist. In the case of shopping with one of “them,” however, I would never have this affirmation. The closest thing would be me reaching for Morrissey while she went for Alanis Morrisette.
Furthermore, in my book, no romantic encounter is complete without a great record to aid the moment. From Air to the Walkmen, my CD collection is chock full of mood-setters. But, if I were sharing this moment with Ms. No-Taste, she might want to listen to something from her CD assortment. Not to be elitist, but, by principle, I can never make-out to Matchbox 20. Ever.
I suppose you could say I’m being prissy and difficult. Perhaps this stipulation will keep me from meeting my “soul mate.” But, as I see it, though true love may be blind, it’s not deaf. And Linkin Park sounds like shit.

3 Comments:

Blogger all hail zahmeugua! said...

you're being prissy and difficult

11:15 AM  
Blogger nasha said...

i dont blam u homegirl at all and i think we could make good friends

6:05 PM  
Blogger High Desert Diva said...

so, what are your musical interests?

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home